Final Feature story

 This is my final draft that will be featured in the magazine.


“All my life I have been up to my eyeline in boxes. ” These are the words of 17 year old Jada Lewis, the Teenage Nomad. To some that may be dreadful but Lewis seems to think otherwise.

Lewis can be described as an army brat. “The term ‘army brat’ is used to refer to military kids,  it doesn’t bother me too bad”, Lewis says.

Army brats tend to move multiple times during childhood and some may even travel across continents. “I was born in South Carolina! I was 5 months old when we moved from South Carolina to New Orleans, and I currently live in Atlanta.” 


 “I’ve lived in South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, Virginia, Hawaii, & now I’m currently in Atlanta, Georgia! So I’ve lived in 7 places in total.”  Lewis first moved when she was less than a year old and she has finally stopped at the age of 17. 


When one experiences life through travel, they often fall in with one place they would like to return to. One place that Jade would like to return to is “Hawaii for sure. The people there were extremely nice, it was a breath of fresh air to be somewhere that I was never rushed. It was relaxing.”

All of her life, Lewis has constantly been moving. “It feels strange now knowing my family is done moving.” She has gotten used to the routine of it all.


Most children would be afraid or tired of going to new places but that is not the case for Jada. “Afraid isn’t the word I’d use, I was more excited than anything. It slightly changed to  nervouscited as I got older, but I was used to adjusting wherever I was.” 


When one constantly moves being the new kid is bound to happen, Lewis has taken a unique view on this issue. “Uhh I loved the mystery of it all! It was always interesting for people to ask, ‘Where are you from?’ Listing everywhere I’ve moved is always an interesting conversation. I’m a Leo, so I loved the attention of being a new kid! ”

 

Jada has lived an interesting life thus far, and she has learned a lot from it. “Moving around made me very well-rounded. I’ve been around so many groups of people. It’s also helped me gain new perspectives on life. Without moving, I don’t think I’d be open to as many things as I am today.” 


 In the fall Lewis will be embarking on a new journey, yet again, to the Illustrious HBCU Howard University She is “excited” and she “can't wait to see where this journey will take her.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluation 3

Evaluation 1

Evaluation 4